In a unique partnership,has partnered with the Ontario Mini Stocks facebook to put together a top-10 ranking of the best asphalt Mini Stock drivers across the province.
STM’s owner Ashley McCubbin and Rich Schwartzenburg from OMS FB put together a expert panel consisting of five members that will work together to rank the top-10 drivers on a bi-weekly basis throughout the season. The diversity of the panel from drivers to car builders to sponsors to car owners and media brings a variety of insights and opinions to the table.
The list is meant to shed light on the division, create talking points, inspire reaction and have fun. So please make sure to react, comment, like and share.
This past week, there were a couple more champions crowned with Tyler Seaboyer and Brian Wilson each enjoying their special moments at Sunset Speedway and Full Throttle Motor Speedway.
With both tracks wrapping up their points, and Flamboro Speedway inching closer to crowning their champion, a lot of points were on the line for the drivers. The racing on-track was just that bit more exciting, as well.
So, did the panel get it right this week?
PLEASE NOTE These rankings do not include the Velocity 250 ran on September 22. That will be included in a playoff edition to finish off the 2019 campaign.
Previous Mentions: Ranked ninth week 10, first week nine, sixth week eight, 10th week seven, second week five, third week four, fourth Week 3, ninth Week 2, ninth pre-season
Erik Dalla Riva is still fast behind the wheel of the No. 30 Mustang, as he made three trips to victory lane at Flamboro Speedway over the past three weeks. The one feature that he did not take the checkered flag in saw him cross the finish line with a fourth-place finish. In 23 features this season at the Hamilton, Ontario based oval this season, he has scored 21 top-five’s with no finishes worse than seventh.
2. Samantha Shaw
Previous Mentions: Ranked second week 10, third week nine, third week eight, second week seven, first week six, eighth week two, fifth pre-season
Coming into the season, Samantha Shaw was one of the most talked about drivers at Sunset Speedway. She backed up that statement all season long, as she scored no finishes worse than third in the 12 features. She capped off her season on a high note, too, winning the feature on the last points night en route to a runner-up in the standings.
3. Cory Young
Previous Mentions: Ranked third week six, fourth week five, eighth week three, sixth on week one
Cory Young put together an impressive final points night of the season at Full Throttle Motor Speedway, finishing fourth in the first feature before winning the second feature. In total, he scored four wins and 21 top-five’s with just one finish outside the top-10 this season.
Previous Mentions: Ranked first week 10, fifth week nine, fourth week eight, eighth week six, second week three, third week 2, first week 1
Karl Sault is on fire right now at Flamboro Speedway, as he scored four top-five’s over the past two weeks, including a pair of runner-ups. In the last nine features at the Hamilton, Ontario-based oval, he has only finished worse than second twice. As a result, he heads into the final night of the season on September 28 with a sizable points lead.
5. Dylan Sharpe
Previous Mentions: Ranked sixth week 10, seventh week nine, sixth week seven, seventh week four, seventh week 3, Drivers to Watch List
Dylan Sharpe kept the consistency rolling at Flamboro Speedway, scoring four top-five’s over the past two weeks. One of those top-five’s saw him pick up the trophy, as he won the second feature on September 14.
6. Melissa Bullen
Previous Mentions: None
Arguably one of the most improved drivers in the province, Melissa Bullen finished off the 2019 campaign strong at Sunset Speedway with a runner-up finish on the final night of 2019. In the last seven features of the year, she showed speed with five podium finishes.
7. Kyle Steckly
Previous Mentions: None
Kyle Steckly may be a rookie, but he is proving that he can run right with the veterans at Flamboro Speedway. These past two weeks, he finished all four features on the podium with a runner-up and three third-place finishes. In total, he has scored 10 top-five finishes, including a victory in August.
Previous Mentions: Ranked eighth week 10, ninth week eight, second week six, first week three, first Week 2, third Week 1, eighth pre-season
Brian Wilson put together a pair of solid finishes on the final night for Full Throttle Motor Speedway, finishing third and sixth for a total of 26 top-five’s this season. As a result, he was crowned the 2019 track champion.
9. Issac Dippel
Previous Mentions: Ranked fifth week 10, eighth week nine, fifth week eight, third week seven, ninth week five, third week three, seventh week 2, eighth Week 1
Issac Dippel finished off the season strong at Full Throttle Motor Speedway, winning the first feature on September 14. Unfortunately, the second feature did not pan as well with a 10th-place finish. In 26 features this season, he has only posted three finishes outside of the top-five.
Previous Mentions: Ranked sixth week nine, second week four, Drivers to Watch List
With two wins and eight top-five finishes this season, Tyler Seaboyer put together a strong campaign en route to being crowned the 2019 Sunset Speedway Champion. Unfortunately, the final night of the season did not go to his liking as he ran into mechanical issues while running in the top-five, ultimately being credited with a 12th-place finish.
Drivers Previously Mentioned Listed Alphabetically:
- Andrea Parsons – Ranked fourth week one
- Andy Kamrath – Ranked fifth week one; ranked first pre-season
- Chandler Bos – Ranked ninth week six
- Craig Kamrath – Ranked seventh pre-season
- Dalton Irish – Ranked second week eight
- Doug Butler – Ranked first week seven, sixth week three, 10th pre-season
- Dylan Holmes – Ranked ninth week seven, seventh week five, sixth week four, fourth week 2, Drivers To Watch List
- Ember Junkin – Ranked sixth week two
- Eric Yorke – Ranked third week 10, second week nine, sixth week six, Drivers to Watch List
- Jake Watson – Ranked seventh week six, 10th week five, fourth week four, second Week 2, second Week 1, Drivers to Watch List
- Jason Tolton – Ranked ninth week nine
- Jeremy Kelly – Ranked 10th week eight, eighth week seven, third week five, 10th week four
- Kent Missions – Ranked 10th week six.
- Kevin Bridge – Ranked sixth pre-season
- Kyle Istead – Ranked ninth week one
- Mark Klotz – Ranked eighth week five
- Mike Robinson Jr – Ranked eighth week four
- Neil Hannah – Ranked 10th week nine, fifth week five
- Nolan Gould – Ranked fourth week 10, eighth week eight, fifth week seven, fourth week six, first week four, 10th Week Two, Drivers to Watch List
- Paul Boyd – Ranked sixth week five
- Ryan DiBello – Ranked 10th week 10
- Ryan Oosterholt – Ranked seventh week 10, fourth week nine, first week eight, fifth week four, third pre-season
- Scott Mast – Ranked 10th week three, fifth week 2, Drivers to Watch List
- Shawn Taylor – Ranked seventh week seven, ninth week three, seventh week 1, second pre-season
- Warren Paxton – Ranked seventh week eight, fourth week seven
- Will Gibbons – Ranked fifth week six, first week 5, ninth week 4, fifth week 3, 10th week 1