Alright – we’re all over the off-season, right? It’s time to ditch the racing withdrawals and get back to action on-track. Except, there’s still around another 100 days before that is going to happen. But you can’t blame fans for their excitement right now about racing in Ontario based on the series of announcements the past couple of weeks.
Sunset Speedway is the next track to join the party, with the release of the 2018 tentative schedule. There are some careful adjustments made compared to years prior that should make things even more action-packed every week, and interesting.
Couple of Highlights:
- OSCAAR Hot Rods will visit the speedway on four different occasions, including a special appearance on opening night to help the track celebrate it’s 50th season.
- The Legend cars will be visiting on three different occasions.
- NEW DIVISION – Bone Stocks. The track is all about trying to give competitors as much chance to compete as possible, and what better way to do that than with an affordable class?
- The Sauble Falls Tent and Trailer Park Late Models will not be doing twin 35-lap features every single night. Instead, there are some 60 lap events scheduled throughout the year. It offers a balance for competitors who like the short features versus the long events.
- Spring Velocity has been spiced up a little in hope of pushing the envelope and matching what we see in the fall at the Velocity 250.
- The Saturday of the event will feature the APC Auto Parts United Late Model of Ontario Tour with a full show, along with the T.Q. Can-Am Midgets, Outlaw Midgets, OSCAAR Hot Rods, and qualifying for the OSCAAR Modifieds.
- Then on Sunday, the modifieds will run their feature, along with a full second show for the Hot Rods, but will be joined by a full show for the Late Models, Super Stocks and Mini Stocks as part of the new Great Lakes Concrete Series. Additionally, the Legends and Bone Stocks will be on hand
- Mentioned above, the Great Lakes Concrete Series is a six event championship split between Sauble Speedway and Sunset Speedway. Sauble’s dates have been known since their tentative reveal (July 1, July 12, August 5). Now we know the dates for Sunset – May 20, August 25, and the year-end Velocity 250 (Sept 22/23).
- The Outlaw Midgets will make three appearances at Sunset Speedway in 2018
- The OSCAAR Modifieds will make three appearances at Sunset Speedway in 2018
- The Lucas Oil T.Q. Can-Am Midgets will make three appearances at Sunset Speedway in 2018
- The APC Auto Parts Late Models will make two appearances at Sunset Speedway, with the second set for August 11.
- The Canadian Vintage Modifieds will make an appearance on May 26
- The Ontario Pro Challenge Series will make three appearances.
- There are two fan appreciation nights (autographs and candy!)
- Kids Bicycle Races will take place on June 30.
- The OSCAAR Pro Midgets will make their debut at Sunset Speedway on July 1.
- The new Ontario Outlaw Super Late Model Series will make two appearances.
- July 21 is the Super Stock Qualifier for Jukasa Speedway. A lot of intrigue is locked into this event as it somehow connects to Jukasa’s Canadian Nationals weekend in September.
- Lucas Oil Sportsman Cup haven’t been to Sunset Speedway in a long time (if ever), but they’re there in 2018 on September 1.
- Bone Stock Champion will be crowned on September 8. The rest of the track champions will be crowned a week later.
- The year-end Velocity 250 will be crazy as ever (surprised?). The two event includes the Great Lakes Concrete Series, OSCAAR Modifieds, Pro Challenge Series, Lucas Oil T.Q. Can-Am Midgets, Legends, OSCAAR Hot Rods, Jr. Late Models, Pro Mini Trucks, Outlaw Midgets, Outlaw Super Late Models, and Bone Stock.
You can view the complete schedule at this link – http://www.sunsetspeedway.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2018-Sunset-Speedway-TENTATIVE-Schedule.pdf