Jim Clarke | Clarke Motorsports Communications for Peterborough Speedway
Saturday night is alright for short track racing excitement and Canada’s Toughest 3rd Mile is bringing the action back to Central Ontario for the first time this year Saturday, July 10th with a thrilling 4 division show to kick-off its COVID-19 delayed 2021 schedule.
Opening night will feature the Battlefield Equipment Rental Bone Stock, Jiffy Lube Mini Stock, KOD Disposal Super Stock and Trailer Plus Ontario Legend Series teams. A week later the Bone Stock and Mini Stock classes will be joined by the Ontario Modifieds Racing Series and the home track Late Model divisions. Peterborough Speedway owner and promoter J.P. Josiasse says that after a lengthy pandemic fueled layoff, everyone is anxious to see the season’s first green flag.
“We have had our hopes built-up and dashed a number of times, but now we’re ready to roll,” Josiasse said. “The first pair of shows we’ll run this year will be the start of something big that will see us run weekly until Labour Day weekend. Our team is working on the details of the schedule and will release it once all the pieces come together.”
Track officials are happy to announce that in accordance with the latest provincial guidelines 25% capacity or approximately 980 spectators will be allowed in the grandstands. To conform with the government’s pre-booking requirement, an online ticket purchasing platform is available now by searching for Peterborough Speedway at https://www.eventsprout.com/events/peterborough-speedway-2000-ltd General admission pricing will start at $20 for adults. Kids from 8 to 12, $10. Children under 8 will once again be free with a paid adult admission.
At the pit gate, non-members will pay $40 with members charged $35. The registration fees that had been proposed for each division have been cancelled and competitors will not be required to pre-register. Teams will be brought into the pit area by division at designated intervals and entry will be restricted to the driver and essential crew members only. There will be no fans admitted to the pit area.
“We are still responsible for meeting requirements as they pertain to social distancing and facemasks will be mandatory,” confirmed Josiasse. “Numbers have been coming down across the province and by making a concentrated effort and working together we can continue that trend.”
Josiasse said that facility officials are also looking at a couple of track rental opportunities in the week leading-up to the Saturday, July 10th lid-lifter. Interested drivers or teams can contact the speedway office for details and more information.
Checking www.peterboroughspeedway.com or following the track’s Facebook and Twitter social media platforms will allow racers and fans to keep their finger on the pulse of everything happening at Canada’s Toughest 3rd Mile in the coming weeks.